On May 23, 2012, about 100 students, teachers, coaches, and parents gathered in the Valparaiso High School cafeteria to celebrate 11 student-athletes at VHS who were signing National Letters of Intent to play their respective sports at the collegiate level.
"It is quite an honor this year looking at our athletes," stated Mark Hoffman, Athletic Director for VHS. "We had 23 student-athletes who were seniors this year who had a grade point average above 3.7, and some of those you'll meet here today."
This was the second signing of its kind for 2012 for VHS athletes. Back in February, ten other student athletes signed their respective Letters of Intent, bringing the total to 21 student-athletes participating in athletics at the next level, an incredible number. Viking student-athletes signing on Wednesday include:
- Ahmad Aljobeh – Cross Country & Track – Yale University
- Paul Andrie – Football – Michigan State University
- Logan Bertalan – Golf – DePauw University
- Drew Boetel – Basketball – Indiana University Northwest
- Carrie Clark – Volleyball – University of St. Francis
- Sara Clark – Volleyball – University of St. Francis
- Katelyn DeVries – Cross Country & Track – Ball State University
- Drew Schooler – Football – St. Xavier University
- Greg Thome – Football – University of Chicago
- Haley Whipps – Cheer – Purdue University
Hoffman also recognized retiring principal Jim Doane for his contributions to the school and the athletic program, who along with his father CJ Doane, spent nearly 60 working in the Valparaiso Community School system.
After the brief ceremony, the student-athletes and attendees were invited to share a special cake designed by the Strongbow Bakery to celebrate the occasion.
Congratulations to all of the student-athletes, and good luck with your future athletic endeavors!