Five local charities will benefit from proceeds of the 2010 Mayor’s Charity Ball in Valparaiso. Recipients include
- Respite House, a halfway house for men seeking recovery from drug and alcohol addictions.
- Family House, Inc, a charity that provides a safe, home-like environment where non-custodial parents may visit with their children.
- Reilly C. Bush Memorial Foundation Inc., a foundation which seeks to foster a network of children helping children.
- Porter County Association for Handicapped Children & Adults, Inc., which provides aid to improve daily living for Porter County handicapped individuals and their families.
- Porter Starke Services Foundation to create scholarships for elementary school classes to participate in Challenge Education Days as well as to enhance and rebuild the challenge course.
Each year since 2005, Mayor Costas has held a ball to celebrate the year and raise money for local charities. This year the ball will be held Oct. 1 at Valparaiso University’s Harre Union and VU Arts Center. Since 2005, 18 charities have shared more than $150,000 in funds for work within the community. To learn more, including how to purchase tickets, sponsor the event, or apply for funding, contact Lori Good, Chairman, Mayor’s Ball Committee at 219-462-1161.