As the new year draws closer, many of us are looking for ways to improve our health in 2023. Whether it’s signing up for an exercise class or trying out a new diet, there are plenty of ways to improve our daily habits to enhance our health.
One way to improve health is to start taking daily vitamin supplements, whether in a multivitamin or individually. Vitamins and minerals are essential to overall body function and help break down macronutrients including carbohydrates, protein and fat. Read on to learn about the four daily vitamin supplements you should be taking to help boost your health.
Eight B vitamins make up the vitamin B complex. These vitamins are used to turn food into energy and help our bodies build new cells. B vitamins are commonly found in leafy greens, whole grains and animal proteins. The USDA reports that most Americans do not get enough B vitamins.
Vitamin B benefits include:
- Support brain function
- Reduce risk of stroke and heart disease
- Improve cholesterol by lowering LDL and boosting HDL
- Help metabolize fats, proteins and carbs
- Regulate cell production and immune system function
Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin essential for healthy tissue growth. It can be found in most fruits and vegetables, and it is crucial for a variety of immune functions like protecting cells from free radicals.
Vitamin C benefits include:
- Help the body absorb iron more effectively
- Maintain skin and tissue health
- Strengthen bones and teeth
- Help reduce the risk of getting infected by the common cold
Iron, which is found in red meat and leafy greens, is essential for transporting oxygen into the bloodstream. People who are deficient in iron commonly experience fatigue and weak immune system response. Vegetarians and vegans are vulnerable to iron deficiency because they do not eat iron-rich meats.
Benefits of iron include:
- Boost energy
- Improve immune system performance
- Enhance brain function
- Improve ability to concentrate
Zinc helps boost immune system response. Great sources of zinc include red meat, poultry, beans, nuts and whole grains. Zinc is only needed in small amounts — 11 milligrams for men and 8 milligrams for women.
Benefits of zinc include:
- Reduce risk of cancer
- Improve memory and attention
- Reduce common cold symptoms
- Enhance immune system response
Adding these supplements to your daily regimen can improve your health and help prevent health problems. To learn more about vitamin supplements, talk with a physician at the Midwest Express Clinic location nearest you.