Moving can be emotional and stressful. But it also represents a new chapter in your life. To help the move go smoothly, here is a checklist of things to do to prepare for a move to a senior retirement community, such as Brookdale's Independent Living, Assisted Living, Skilled Nursing Care, or Alzheimer's and Dementia Care homes.
2 Months Before Moving
- Find out what furniture you can take with you to your new home
- Create a floor plan of the new home for furniture placement.
- If you will use a mover, get at least 3 estimates from moving companies.If you will move yourself, get costs from at least two truck rental companies.
- Make an inventory of household goods and begin to remove clutter (start with the basement, attic, garage, and other storage areas).
- Start a file for all moving paperwork (estimates, receipts, etc.).
1 Month Before Moving
- Fill out post office change-of-address cards.
- Obtain all medical records
- Have antiques, pieces of art, and other valuables appraised. Clean all closets and drawers.
- Start using foods and cleaning supplies that cannot be moved.
- If are not using a moving company, reserve a rental truck.
- Obtain packing materials and start packing items that won't be needed until after arrival at thenew residence.
- Arrange for cleaning and repair of furniture, drapes, and carpeting.
- Gather personal and family records, including medical and dental, legal and financial documents; birth certificates, passports and insurance documents.
2 Weeks Before Moving
- Hold a moving sale.
- Arrange for disposal of anything not sold at the moving sale.
- Schedule disconnection of all utility services. Be sure to disconnect the day after vacating the home.
- Arrange refund of any "last month" deposits that need to be returned.
- Notify any creditors of the new address.
- Transfer prescriptions and be sure to have an adequate supply of medications on hand.
7 Days Before Moving
- Pack a travel kit.
- Put aside critical items like a checkbook, credit cards, personal phone book, ID, flashlight, keys, toiletries, tools, paper plates, cups, towels, travel alarm clock, aspirin, bandages.
- Pack a suitcase with clothing and other personal items.
- Transfer bank accounts
- Let movers pack belongings (unless it's a do-it-yourself move).
- Set aside anything that will travel in your car so it will not be loaded on the moving truck.
- Pack a box of items that will be needed first at the new house. Clearly mark this box "Load Last."
Day before and day of move
- Start early to avoid confusion, rushing and stress.
- Confirm arrival time of the moving van/truck.
- Read the bill of lading and inventory carefully before signing.
- Keep this paperwork in a safe place.
- Make sure drivers have your cell phone number and you have theirs.
- Perform final checks before leaving the house.
- Items to verify before shutting the door for the last time: Are the air conditioning, fans and heat turned off? is the water shut off? Are lights off?
- When items arrive at the new home, check belongings carefully and note on the inventory paperwork any damaged items.
Brookdale Senior Living communities provide active retirement living for thousands of residents. Our communities feature a high quality of life and the highest levels of personal service. With an outstanding reputation, Brookdale operates more than 565 senior living and retirement communities across the nation. Find one near you.