Salary range: $25.00 - $28.00 Hourly
Job Location: Valparaiso Club - Valparaiso, Indiana
Position type: Part Time
Education: High School Diploma
Travel percentage: Less than 25%
Provide safe and orderly transportation of members to and from designated schools on assigned bus route(s) or other destinations in accordance with the traffic and safety rules of Federal, State and local government agencies, and the Boys & Girls Clubs rules, policies and procedures. Incumbent is responsible for communicating on condition of buses, vans and their equipment. Complying with a regular and preventive maintenance schedule is required. The position will also carry out responsibilities such as reporting, tracking, and maintaining routes. The driver is responsible for the enforcement of order and safety on the buses and vans, resulting in a safe and positive environment for youth.Qualifications
- Observe all traffic laws, safety regulations, policies and procedures regarding buses in accordance with Federal, State and local government agencies, and the Boys & Girls Clubs rules, policies and procedures.
- Completes daily pre-trip and post-trip inspections and report deficiencies to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Assist in planning routes and transporting youth and staff to various Boys & Girls Clubs and other locations as needed.
- Follow assigned route and adhere to set schedules (includes field trips and special activities).
- Track, report and maintain routes.
- Maintain close, daily communication with Club Directors, staff and supervisor to provide and receive information and convey pick-up and drop-off times and locations.
- Provide clear information, instruction and guidance to members and staff while creating an environment that represents and facilitates the achievement of our youth development outcomes; academic success, healthy lifestyles and good character and citizenship.
- Ensure a safe and healthy environment for members and staff.
- Maintain appropriate member management and report incidents to the appropriate supervisor(s).
- Assist in maintaining strong relationships and open communication with members, staff, parents and school organizations.
- Keep assigned bus clean by daily sweeping and periodic washing.
- Keep assigned bus fueled at all times.
- Properly operates all communication equipment.
- Conduct bus evacuation drills in accordance with approved procedure.
- Report all accidents, vehicle damage and student injuries should they occur to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Participate in required random drug/alcohol testing program.
- Complete and submit all required reports and documentation.
- Maintain a neat, clean and professional appearance.
- Attends all mandatory meetings.
- Maintains confidentiality at all times.
- The Chief Operating Officer, according to specific needs will make task assignments for this position. The administration may have additional input in identifying other preferred qualifications and/or appropriate duties that may exceed those described above which are consistent with the function of a Bus Operator.
- Performs other incidental and related duties as required and assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Possess and maintain a valid CDL License with all required school bus endorsements including passenger, air break and Class B CDL.
- Possess and maintain a valid Department of Transportation physical and Medical Examiner’s certificate. May be required to have TB test on yearly basis.
- Minimum of two years’ experience in a Boys & Girls Club or similar organization transporting youth in busses and/or vans.
- Must be at least 21 years of age and have held a valid driver’s license for at least one year.
- Operate bus and vans in accordance to Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles.
- Ability to read and comprehend safety rules, maps, procedure manuals, operating and maintenance instructions.
- Able to comprehend, retain and follow oral and written instructions, exercise good judgment, set priorities, listen, problem solve and make decisions.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to positively interact with staff, members, parents, school personnel, etc.
- Excellent work habits, attendance record and must successfully complete and pass all criminal background check.
- Must be able to work with limited to no supervision.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Possess a flexible nature that can handle last minute changes.
- Proven conflict resolution skills as well as keen patience and understanding.
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain a certification in CPR and First Aid.
Physical Requirements / Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position requires sitting, standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing throughout the day. The employee is exposed to all types of weather and temperature conditions, dust, dirt, and moving machinery. Occasionally the employee is exposed to high stress situations and hazardous chemicals. The noise level is moderate to high. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. All tasks require oral communications ability. This position requires the ability to lift/push up to 25 pounds.