Boys & Girls Clubs of Porter County held its annual ImageMakers Photography Contest, as part of its year-round Photography Program sponsored nationwide by Sony, on March 10, 2015. The ImageMakers program teaches youth the art and science of photography, and includes opportunities to compete in Boys & Girls Clubs of America (BGCA)’s ImageMakers National Photography Contest.
Artistic creations from four different age groups and in four different artistic categories were judged by two local judges, Megan Wallen and Roxanne Witherspoon, who are Valparaiso and Portage art teachers with photography backgrounds. With over 40 Club members competing locally in Porter County, and with more than 38,000 kids participating nationwide, the ImageMakers National Photography Contest invited young people to capture photographs in four different categories: culture and tradition, nature and surroundings, portraits, and a “Who Am I?” with category. Boys & Girls Clubs of Porter County is pleased to announce the winners of its local ImageMakers Photography Contest:
Culture and Traditions Category:
- Illja Kirov, “Nutcracker,” 6-9 age group, Portage Club
- Allison Messler, “Coming Home,” 10-12 age group, Duneland Club
- Sanja Kirova, “Twilight’s Last Gleaming,” 13-15 age group, Portage Club
- Michael Carlisle, “Hoosier Ball,” 16-18 age group, South Haven Club
Nature and Surroundings Category:
- Illja Kirov, “Fjord,” 6-9 age group, Portage Club
- Hailey Childers, “Water to Ice,” 10-12 age group, South Haven Club
- Sanja Kirova, “Winter’s Kiss,” 13-15 age group, Portage Club
- Tyler Goodman, “Fuzz,” 16-18 age group, South Haven Club
- Mia Adams, “Peek-A-Boo,” 6-9 age group, South Haven Club
- Tya Combs, “Sisters,” 10-12 age group, Portage Club
- Sanja Kirova, “Clarity,” 13-15 age group, Portage Club
- Vince Benavidez, “Cheesin’,” 16-18 age group, South Haven Club
Who Am I? Category
- Alliyah Ortiz, “My Life,” 6-9 age group, South Haven Club
- Julian Patwell, “Lace Up,” 10-12 age group, South Haven Club
- Sanja Kirova, “Myself,” 13-15 age group, Portage Club
- Caleb Ramey, “Donut Puzzle,” 16-18 age group, South Haven Club
As a local winner, these young people will advance to regional competition for a chance to advance to the national competition this spring. The regional competition will be held at Boys & Girls Clubs of Dane County in Wisconsin and includes a 13-state region. National winners’ artwork will be featured by Boys & Girls Clubs of America (BGCA) throughout the year, and the winners will receive educational opportunities to celebrate their success.
“We are proud of our young people whose artwork has been recognized with the local awards of the ImageMakers National Photography Contest and wish each of them luck as they advance to the regional competition,” said Ryan Smiley, President of Boys & Girls Clubs of Porter County. “We are grateful to Sony Electronics for their support in providing our Club access to programs and tools in the area of photography to educate and engage all young people in the arts.”
Boys & Girls Clubs of Porter County has been opening doors to GREAT FUTURES for Porter County’s youth since 1971. The Clubs provide high quality programs for nearly 5,000 boys and girls supporting academic success, good character and citizenship development, and healthy lifestyle education. For more information on membership, volunteer opportunities or to make a tax deductible donation to Boys & Girls Clubs of Porter County, please contact your local Club, call (219) 464-7282 or visit bgcpoco.org. Great Futures Start HERE.