Cartoon Network and Porter Health System are bringing the brand new MOVE IT MOVEMENT Tour to Porter’s Portage Hospital Campus, 3630 Willowcreek Road, from Noon to 4 pm, on Saturday, July 31. The national tour, presented in partnership with NASPE’s (National Association for Sport and Physical Education) LET’S MOVE In School platform, is an all-new summer-long initiative created to battle the epidemic of childhood obesity by empowering youth 6-14 to get more active and practice healthier lifestyles. The LET’S MOVE In School platform is a grassroots effort aligned with First Lady Michelle Obama’s LET’S MOVE campaign, which supports local school districts, families and communities in creating and sustaining daily physical activity during the school year.
The MOVE IT MOVEMENT Tour will feature multiple themed activity and learning stations, including:
- Skate Park Challenge, sponsored by 3M™ Nexcare™ Products, where BMX and skateboard experts will perform high-flying demonstrations followed by interactive safety and riding tips sessions, as well as get free samples of 3M™ Nexcare™ Ben 10 Alien Force and Bakugan bandages;
- The Karate Kid is sponsoring a martial arts challenge to test focus, balance and strength abilities with workout sessions led by local dojos (this activity will span from 5/1-6/20);
- Crayola Outdoor Challenge where kids can use Crayola’s Spira-Chalk Blaster™, 3-D Sidewalk Chalk™ and new Glow Explosion™ products to create outdoor fun with sidewalk games, original art masterpieces, etc.;
- NBA/WNBA FIT Activity Zone allows youth to demonstrate their fitness level through basketball and fitness games;
- NFL PLAY 60 powered by HOPSports introduces kids to various physical activities and exercises via the screen-based HOPSports system featuring custom NFL PLAY 60 content, martial arts, stuntman drills and more;
- FDA Spot the Block, a station with an interactive dice game and information to educate youth and families about the nutritional block on food packaging;
- and Soccer Shootout Challenge where kids can take aim and test their shooting skills with a custom soccer goal.
Additional elements of the MOVE IT MOVEMENT Tour include the CNN Fit Nation Kiosk, which offers a custom health & wellness quiz and iReport feature for youth and adults to test their knowledge and provide personal stories of how they stay healthy and fit. The tour also will feature the Cartoon Network Chill Zone, a themed area to refuel (water) and recharge while taking in the best new programming, online activities and premium items from Cartoon Network. “We’re excited to partner with Porter Health System to bring this new tour to the families of Northwest Indiana,” said Alice Cahn, Cartoon Network vice president of social responsibility. “This is a natural extension of the pro-social initiatives we began back in 2005 to help kids and families celebrate the value and importance of daily activity and exercise, along with making smart eating choices a regular habit.”
Cartoon Network (CartoonNetwork.com), currently seen in more than 97 million U.S. homes and 166 countries around the world, is Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.’s ad-supported cable service now available in HD offering the best in original, acquired and classic entertainment for kids and families.