Have you heard about Calumet College of St. Joseph’s (CCSJ) new life science program? New this academic year, the university has equipped the program with a well-rounded curriculum and state-of-the-art equipment.
The new program was built on a partnership between the science and education departments. Divided into two components, the program first allows students to complete a bachelor’s degree in life science within three years. Next, the program enables students to spend their fourth year in the already developed Transition to Teach (T.2.T.) - which prepares candidates for licensing as secondary high school teachers.
The new program prepares students for teaching, graduate school or laboratory work in biological science. Career options with a life science degree include, but are not limited to work as:
- A life science instructor at a high school or middle school
- A laboratory scientist at cosmetic labs
- A laboratory scientist at food labs
- A laboratory scientist at a pharmaceutical labs
Additionally, students may pursue life science to prepare them for graduate school, nursing school, or medical school.
The bachelor's degree requires science coursework for three academic years, including summers. An additional year covers education coursework in the 3+1 plan. Upon completing the program, students may further pursue a Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) for an advanced degree.
Scientific Knowledge and Critical Thinking:
- Students will demonstrate a level of competency for understanding core principles.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to locate and critically evaluate scientific information.
Research Skills and Problem Solving Ability:
- Students will demonstrate the ability to design studies to test the biological and chemical hypothesis.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to learn independently and to critically evaluate the significance of research results.
- Students will develop and justify a range of sample preparation, data analysis, various scientific calculations (enzyme kinetics, molarity, stoichiometry).
- Students will be able to validate techniques of analytical balances, autoclave, UV/Vis spectrometer, IR spectrometer, gel electrophoresis, simple and fractional distillation, PCR, DNA extraction, titrations, pH analysis, and normalization.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to communicate the results of scientific research verbally and in writing.
Ethics and Advocacy:
- Students will demonstrate the ability to design studies that meet professional ethical standards.
- Students will demonstrate an awareness of the relevance of biological and chemical knowledge to human health and welfare.
- Ultra Violet/Visible Spectrometers
- Infrared Spectrometers
- Fourier Transform Infrared
- Inverted Microplate Reader
- 96 Well Plate Reader
- Analytical Balances
- Visible Spectrometers
- Cell Incubator
- Sonic Dismembrator
- -80 Fridge
- Biological Safety Cabinet
- Bench Top Centrifuge
- Microvial Centrifuge
- UV Trans Illuminator
- Various Body Models
- Adult and Child CPR
- AED Trainer
- Top of the Line Physics Experimental Kits
CCSJ is a private, four-year accredited university, offering master’s, bachelor’s and associate’s degrees. While offering a one-of-a-kind educational experience with its small class sizes and individualized attention to its students, CCSJ makes higher education accessible and affordable. For more information on the Life Science Program, click here. To learn more about all the programs they offer, visit CCSJ’s website.