The Valparaiso University women’s soccer team battled Ohio to a 2-2 draw Friday, closing out exhibition play with its first appearance on Brown Field this year. Playing three 30-minute periods, the Crusaders received goals from Kelsie Bolerjack and Tahelah Noel in the final period to rally from two goals down for the tie.
- Ohio's Alexis Milesky looked to have the net open for the taking for the game's first goal in the 38th minute, but freshman Natalia Kontul (Solon, Ohio/Solon) positioned herself perfectly on the line to block Milseky's effort and keep the game scoreless.
- The Bobcats cracked the scoreboard in the 47th minute on a goal from Macey Juguilon directly from a free kick, and added a second in the 54th minute as Sydney Leckie got behind the defense on the break and placed a shot inside the left post.
- Valpo got on the board in the 62nd minute to cut the deficit in half. Freshman Julia Lehnen (Menomonee Falls, Wis./Menomonee Falls) sent a cross into the box from the left that was mishandled by the Ohio keeper. Junior Kelsie Bolerjack (Centerville, Ohio/Centerville) was there to hop on the loose ball and hit the open net from 12 yards out, cutting the Bobcats' lead to 2-1.
- The equalizer came for the Crusaders in the 78th minute. Freshman Tahelah Noel (Buffalo, N.Y./Christian Central Academy) looked to run onto a long ball that was slowing near the top of the box, and when the Ohio goalkeeper missed a charging clearance attempt, Noel took possession behind the keeper and easily tapped it home for the game-tying goal.
This and That
- The game was played through some variable weather conditions. At kickoff, it was 85 and humid before rain started to pour during the first intermission. The driving rain continued throughout the second period and then let up in time for the third period, cooling the temperature down to 75 degrees.
- As was the case in the Crusaders’ first exhibition match, head coach John Marovich got plenty of players out on the pitch Friday. 20 outfield players saw action for Valpo, with only one player playing more than 60 minutes. In goal, senior Sydney Galvez-Daley (Chicago, Ill./Fenwick [Creighton]) and sophomore Drew Moulton (Sycamore, Ill./Sycamore) split time.
- Valpo was out-shot by the Bobcats, 14-9, including a 6-2 margin in shots on goal. Both sides earned one corner kick and were offside once.
The Crusaders open the regular season next Friday, Aug. 19 at IUPUI. Kickoff is slated for 6:30 p.m. CT, and live stats will be available via ValpoAthletics.com.