Did you know that most insurance plans now cover many preventive care screenings, tests and services such as vaccinations that can help you stay healthy? And the best news is, they're FREE*, with no copays or deductibles.
Getting the right screenings and medical tests at the right time can help prevent many illnesses, and stop others before they become serious or even present symptoms. Depending on your age, gender and other risk factors, your doctor may tell you it's time for a mammogram, colonoscopy or other screening that can detect cancer or disease in its earliest, most treatable stages. Or, it may be time to screen for high blood pressure or high cholesterol to give your doctor information that can help prevent a stroke or heart attack.
There's even more good news for women.
Many preventive care screenings, tests and supplies that can help you with family planning and pregnancy are now covered, along with services such as these:
- Well-woman checkups
- Contraceptives and birth control counseling
- Screenings during pregnancy for a variety of conditions
- Breastfeeding supplies, support and counseling.
In addition, if you're a woman over 40, talk with your doctor about scheduling a screening mammogram.
Preventive Care Services – Children are Covered, too.
Here's a list of children's preventive care services most insurance plans will cover at no cost to you,* depending on your child's age and risk factors:
- Screenings for autism, high blood pressure, some cancers, depression, developmental disorders, lipid disorders, hearing problems, blood diseases, HIV, hypothyroidism, lead levels, obesity, PKU, and vision problems.
- Behavioral assessments
- Fluoride and iron supplements
- Height, weight and body mass index measurements
- Immunizations for a variety of conditions
- Medical history
- Obesity counseling
- Oral health risk assessment
- Sexually transmitted infection prevention counseling and screening
- Tuberculin testing
Your child's physician can tell you which of these services are right for your child, and when they should be provided. If you need a physician for your child's health needs, call 1-800-541-1861 or visit PorterPhysicianGroup.com.
*Preventive care services often depend on age and risk factors. Depending on your health insurance, preventive care services may be covered without your having to pay a copayment, coinsurance or meet your deductible. This applies only when you use your plan's network providers. Medicaid benefits vary by state. To confirm your level of coverage for preventive care and to make sure your insurance is on your doctor's list of accepted plans, check with your insurance provider, employer or your doctor's office.