After buying gifts your entire life, it can be challenging to come up with new and creative ideas for your loved one. As time changes, the needs of your loved one will change. The decorative vases you used to purchase your aunt just aren’t going to cut it anymore.
When you have a loved one in skilled nursing, you know they need practical gifts. By targeting your gift-giving strategy to your loved one’s needs, you will be able to get gifts that show how much you care and that show you understand their needs.
When shopping for gifts, DO consider buying your loved one:
- Big button telephone – A big-button telephone will make it easier for your loved one to call you and other family members. This gift shows that you want to encourage your loved one to communicate with you often.
- Slipper socks – Another practical gift, you can get slipper socks to help your loved one from slipping on the floor. You can also get them to match your loved one’s style and personality.
- Simple remote control – A simple remote control can make it easier for your loved one to enjoy television.
- Nightlights – Keeping your loved one safe in a skilled nursing facility should be a priority. Buying nightlights to keep your loved one safer in the dark can show how much you care.
- Indoor plants – Indoor plants can help bring the outdoors in for your loved one. Find their favorite flowers and put them near a window in their apartment.
When shopping for gifts, DON’T buy your loved one:
- Knick-knacks – While it may be a nice gesture, your loved one’s long term care facility does not have room for many trinkets and knick-knacks.
- Cell phone – While you may think it’s a practical gift, your loved one in skilled nursing has no real need for a cell phone.
- Area rugs – For decorative purposes, you may think an area rug would be nice in your loved one’s skilled nursing room, but it could be a tripping hazard.
Trying to find the best gift for your loved one? The best gift you can give someone in a skilled nursing home is the gift of your presence. By visiting them on a regular basis, you show how much you care, way more than any gift ever could.
Looking for a quality skilled nursing center near you and your loved one? Find a Brookdale Senior Living community in your area.