Valpo softball junior Taylor Herschbach (Lockport, Ill./Lockport Township) reached base in all four of her plate appearances in the series finale versus Indiana State on Saturday from the Valpo Softball Complex, including a trio of base hits, but the Sycamores came away 8-2 victors to close out the series.
How It Happened
- The Sycamores took the lead in the top of the first on a solo homer by Isabella Henning.
- Valpo evened the game in the bottom of the third. Senior Addi Burke (Mesquite, Texas/John Horn) lifted a double to the center-field fence and Herschbach followed by knocking the first pitch she saw back through the circle for an RBI single to tie the game.
- Indiana State claimed the lead for good in the fourth inning, hitting three homers as part of a five-run frame.
- The Sycamores added a run to their advantage in the top of the sixth, but Valpo got that run back in the bottom half of the inning as freshman Alexis Johnson (Schererville, Ind./Lake Central) doubled early in the frame and eventually scored on a wild pitch.
- Valpo had two in scoring position with two outs to try to cut further into the lead in the sixth, but a line drive off the bat of junior Peyton Moeder (Shawnee, Kan./Mill Valley) found the ISU pitcher’s glove.
- The Sycamores closed the scoring with a single run in the seventh.
Inside the Game
- Herschbach led the Valpo offensive effort, reaching base all four times she came to bat. The junior went 3-for-3 at the plate for the second time this season and reached in five of her six plate appearances on the weekend.
- Sophomore Ryan Milkowski (Olathe, Kan./Olathe West) reached base twice as well, picking up a hit and a walk.
- Johnson went 1-for-2 with a run scored, a double and a successful sacrifice.
- Freshman Caitlyn Kowalski (Temperance, Mich./Notre Dame Academy) started and took the loss in the circle, falling to 4-8 on the year.
- Junior Taylor Knight (Omaha, Neb./Elkhorn South) entered in relief in the fourth inning and pitched a solid 3.1 innings to close out the game.
Valpo (5-18, 1-8 MVC) continues conference play next weekend with a three-game series at UNI. The series starts with a doubleheader next Saturday at noon.