The Valparaiso Noon Kiwanis has released their June 12 K-Mail!
June 2nd Meeting: Kiwanis Foundation’s Ninth Annual Volunteer Recognition Program has recognized 69 outstanding volunteers over the past 9 years and this year the most valued volunteers in the community are:
- Jackie Baird – The American Cancer Society (Relay for Life)
- Glennas Kueck – Christian Community Action, Spring Valley Shelter
- Allen Kent – Rebuilding Together Valparaiso
- Larry McAfee –United Way of Porter County
- Mary Ehrenberg –Valparaiso Adult Learning Center
All are Outstanding Volunteers each one has won a check for their organization and our community is fortunate to have such great leaders.
June 9th Meeting: Porter County Sheriff, Dave Lain, gave us an interesting, historical and comical presentation on police memorabilia. Items included such things as “comealong”, “sticks” and “handcuffs”. We had a rare look and demonstration of the infamous John Dillinger’s Tommy Gun! This is the gun John Dillinger took with him when he escaped the Crown Point lockup. He used it to hold up three banks. It was later found in Lake Michigan and found its way to the FBI Headquarters collection. Porter County was fortunate to see it returned in 2001 and you can see it along with many other memorabilia at the Porter County Sheriff’s Department Museum.
Past Honors: Habitat for Humanity: Our very own Brent Wagner was honored last week by the Habitat for Humanity Board for his outstanding contribution to the organization having served ten years as President and still remains on as architect. He and his wife, Cathy and daughter Ella were recognized for their continuing support of the Habitat for Humanity. Way to go Brent!!!
Builder’s Club Charter: President Steve presented Mark Baird, sponsor for the Boone Grove Builder’s Club, with the Charter materials. Mark was instrumental in securing the charter and getting this club sanctioned by Kiwanis International. They have approximately 60 members already. Many of these kids will be graduating to senior high school this year.
Meals on Wheels Service Project
Route D – St. Agnes – Each Week
11:00 A.M. Thursday and Friday
- 6/18 Lorrie Woycik, John Klipstine
- 6/19 John Ohler, Marylin Ohler
- 6/24 John Albers, Dawn Fry
- 6/25 Dave Lindgren, Joanne Tomasic
- 7/01 Len Domke, Barb Claypool
- 7/02 Tricia Catlin, Norm Jacobs
- 7/08 Bob Claypool, Marty Stritof
- 7/09 Norm Hittinger Melissa Kirincic
- 7/15 John Ohler, Marylin Ohler
- 7/16 Bob Tittle, Carol Steele
- 7/22 Dawn Fry, Ron Hager
- 7/23 Joanne Tomasic, John Klipstine
- 7/29 Barb Claypool, Barb Claypool
- 7/30 Len Domke, Norm Jacobs
- 6/16 Indiana State Auditor – Tim Berry
- 6/23 Juvenile Diabetes Program – Homer Drew
Balloon Committee: June 16th, immediately following regular meeting.
90th Birthday Committee: June 16th immediately following regular scheduled meeting.
Chicken BBQ: June 23rd immediately following regular meeting
Social Events Scheduled:
- June 18th: Kiwanis Nite at the Rail Cats
- June 22nd: 2010 Kiwanis Nite at the White Sox. 7:00 P.M. - Atlanta Braves vs White Sox. Carpooling w/parking passes and tailgate party.
- June 23rd: VHS Alumni Jazz Band
- July 13th: Jaws at Central Park Plaza
- July 14th: Valparaiso Community/University Concert Band
- August 6th: District Golf Outing, River Point Golf Club, Hobart, $50.00/each see Dick Harlan.
- August 10th: Star Trek at Central Park Plaza
- August 14th: Concert on the Lawn at Ivy Tech, details to follow.
- 04-Dan Hood, Scott Carlson
- 05-Rich Serletic
- 06-Deb Lambert
- 08-Richard Brychell
- 10-Paul Sciarra
- 14-Ron Hager, Joey Quinn
- 17-Nancy Barone
- 20-Rod Hontz
- 21-Karen Malecha, Tim Norman
- 22-Norm Jacobs
- 25-Jon Groth, Susan Scroggins
- 27-Cliff Mailings
District Meetings: July 13th B & J’s American Café, Lincolnway, LaPorte; subject will be Juvenile Diabetes
International Convention: June 24 – 27, Las Vegas Delegates are Dawn Fry and Mark Connors