Thanks to a phone call from a member of our community, and the incredible efforts of Kankakee Valley REMC, this Great Horned Owl was rescued from a powerline on Division Street near the Porter County Expo Center.
Luckily, it does not appear this bird has been electrocuted. The Kankakee Valley employees reported that the owl actually had gotten a talon stuck in an insulation coil and was not actively touching anything that would electrocute it. This very unlucky Great Horned Owl is now getting some quiet time, drying from last nights cold rain, and warming back up to normal body temperature with the help of some warm fluids. Pain and anti-inflammatory medication will assist in the process as we learn more about its prognosis over the coming hours.