Junior Morgan Kier (Brownsburg, Ind. / Brownsburg) led the Valparaiso University Women’s Golf Team on Friday during the first two rounds of the Redbird Invitational, hosted by Illinois State at the par-72, 6010-yard Weibring Golf Club in Normal, Ill. Kier went sub-80 in both rounds, helping Valpo finish Round 2 with its best 18-hole team score this season.
How it happened
- Kier set a season low in the opening round with a 79 (+7) before matching that with the same score in Round 2. Her 158 through 36 holes has her on the fringe of the tournament’s top 10, checking in at t-11 entering Saturday’s final round. Kier’s 79 was one stroke off a career low.
- Kier wasn’t the only Valpo golfer to finish Day 1 in the top 15, as she joined fellow junior Payton Hodson (Middleton, Wis. / Middleton), who carded an 81 in the opening round before tying Kier for the team’s best Round-2 score at 79. Hodson’s 160 through 36 holes places her in a tie for 15th in the four-team, 33-player field.
- Valpo carded a 329 (+41) in the opening round before improving to 325 (+37) in Round 2 for a 36-hole score of 654 (+78). The second-round score marked Valpo’s season low both overall and in relation to par.
- Hodson and Cailey Rooker (St. Joseph, Mich. / St. Joseph) had one birdie apiece for the Brown & Gold.
- The tournament features Valpo and a trio of Illinois-based schools including two Missouri Valley Conference members – Illinois State, Loyola and Northern Illinois. The host Redbirds lead the field at 599 while Ali Schrock of Illinois State holds the top individual spot at 147 (+2) with 18 holes to play.
The final round of the event will take place on Saturday, April 10. A link to live scoring via BirdieFire is available on ValpoAthletics.com.