Roslyn Leitner (Dundee, Ill. / Harry Jacobs) didn’t waste any time in making a strong first impression with the Valparaiso University women’s golf team. Playing as an individual, the freshman sits atop the leaderboard after Monday’s opening round of the 36-hole, two-day Flyer Intercollegiate. The event, hosted by Lewis University at Cog Hill Golf & Country Club in Lemont, Ill., marks the first Valpo sporting event against outside competition in over six months.
How It Happened
- Leitner carded a 75 (+3) in the first round of the tournament. She holds the lead for medalist honors entering Tuesday’s second and final round.
- Valpo owns a team score of 340 through one round, which ranks fifth of nine squads.
- Among those whose scores count toward the team total, junior Payton Hodson (Middleton, Wis. / Middleton) leads the way with an 83 (+11), which places her at t-12 on the individual leaderboard.
- Sophomore Cailey Rooker (St. Joseph, Mich. / St. Joseph) finished the day tied for 16th in the 48-player event, carding an 85 (+13).
Inside the Round
- Leitner and fellow freshmen Carly Schiene (Mokena, Ill. / Lincoln-Way Central) and Allison Yohanan (DeKalb, Ill. / DeKalb) all made their collegiate debuts on Monday.
- Leitner had the first score of 75 or lower by a Valpo freshman since A.J. Selig in October 2011 at the Dayton Fall Invitational.
Thoughts from Head Coach Jill McCoy
“It was a difficult day for the team. We should have been more competitive with the teams currently leading the tournament. I know our team is capable of lower scores and better course management. On a very positive note, I am extremely proud of freshman Roslyn Leitner. She has had a challenging start to her freshman year, but she was able to relax and pull everything together today. She is off to an awesome start and hopefully can keep it going tomorrow!”
The Flyer Intercollegiate will continue with 18 more holes of action on Tuesday from Cog Hill Golf & Country Club in Lemont, Ill.