Methodist Hospitals recently celebrated the completion of a major renovation of its Labor and Deliver Unit at the Southlake Campus in Merrillville on Tuesday, October 2, 2018. Located on the second floor of the Southlake Campus the newly renovated unit has been renamed Maternal Infant Care Center to reflect all of the new amenities available to our new mothers and their babies. Amenities include the following:
- 6 spacious, beautifully renovated Labor and Delivery Suites with private bathroom and private showers. They include new furniture, new flooring, sleeper sofas, and chairs.
- 6 private post-partum rooms with private bathrooms with private showers. These rooms have adjoining nursery rooms to facilitate bonding with mothers and babies and facilitate breast feeding
- New outpatient testing and lactation rooms for outpatient consults and also for employee use.
- Advanced security system that includes Hugs Infant Tag Monitoring System for baby’s security.
- Newly renovated solarium waiting area and a renovated waiting area in the unit for family and support person with comfortable seating, complimentary coffee and microwave.
- Outpatient testing room for those with pregnancy complications requiring close monitoring of mother and baby.
- Updated technology in all patient’s room so that nurses can care for all patient needs at the bedside.
- 2 fully functional nursing stations so staff can quickly address patient’s needs. Our staff has renovated break room and sleep rooms for physicians.
The Maternal Care Center involved a complete demolition and rebuild of the unit in phases for a total cost of $3.6 million. The project engineer was Stantec in Chicago and the contractor was Berglund Construction located in Chesterton.
The community is invited to attend an Open House on Saturday, October 20th from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Tours, refreshments and raffles will be offered. Tours are scheduled for the privacy and consideration of our patients. Please call to register at 1-888-909-3627.