NIPSCO’s Tree Planting Partnership Program is donating trees valued at $56,000 to eight cities and towns to enhance the urban canopy. In addition to beautification benefits from an enhanced urban canopy, the trees will aid in energy conservation, stormwater retention and improved air quality.
NIPSCO’s Tree Planting Partnership Program is dedicated to educating the public about the importance of “planting the right tree in the right place.” It also teaches the value and benefits of trees and seeks to demonstrate that trees and power lines can co-exist in harmony. NIPSCO supports community tree-planting projects across northern Indiana.
Community recipients include:
- Habitat for Humanity in Goshen
- Crichfield Elementary in La Porte in partnership with La Porte Tree Commission
- Multiple parks for Lake County Parks Department
- Gene Stratton Porter in Rome City
Award-Winning Tree Program
NIPSCO’s Forestry Operations department has been honored by the Arbor Day Foundation as a Tree Line USA® utility. For 22 years, NIPSCO has received the Tree Line USA® award, which recognizes professionalism and environmental stewardship.
Tips for Tree Pruning and Removal
Although choosing the right tree for a particular location is very important, please remember that correct pruning also contributes to the tree’s longevity. Here are a few things to remember:
- The best time to prune flowering trees is after they are done flowering.
- Prune hardwood and evergreen trees during the dormant season of late fall and winter.
- Prune dead or dying branches anytime.
- Be sure to use sharp tools and to make clean cuts.
For more information or to learn more about NIPSCO’s Forestry Operations, call 1-800-4-NIPSCO or visit NIPSCO.com/Trees.