Sophomore Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) entered double figures with her team-leading 10th singles victory on Saturday, providing the highlight of the Valparaiso University women’s tennis team’s 6-1 setback to Illinois State at the Valpo Tennis Complex. This marked Valpo’s first home outdoor match of the season.
How It Happened
- Olivia prevailed in rather one-sided fashion at No. 2 singles, dropping just three games en route to a straight-set victory over Tara Damjanovic 6-2, 6-1. In the process, she gained her team-leading 10th singles win of the season and her 23rd career singles triumph as only a sophomore.
- A nine-match winning streak at No. 1 doubles came to an end for Olivia and her older sister Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) as the duo fell on a tiebreak 7-6(2).
- Although Olivia accounted for Valpo’s only singles win of the day, two other Valpo players forced third sets. Claire bounced back from dropping the opening set to prevail 7-6(5) in Set 2 against Tijana Zlatovic at No. 1 singles, while Mia Bertino (Lockport, Ill. / Joliet Catholic) fell in a tight 6-4, 6-7(8), 10-5 match at No. 5.
- In addition, Amanda Tabanera (Valencia, Calif. / Valencia) played a pair of close sets at No. 3, falling 6-4, 6-4.
- The match came against a talented Redbirds team that improved its record to 17-7, 5-0 in the Missouri Valley Conference.
Valpo (6-11, 1-3 MVC) will face a quick turnaround as it closes out the regular season on Sunday at 11 a.m. vs. Bradley at the Valpo Tennis Complex.