Purdue University North Central hosted an Academic Super Bowl Invitational competition for Porter County students on Wednesday, March 5 on the PNC Westville campus.
Competition included teams from eight of the nine Porter County High Schools competing in their seventh annual competition. Participating schools were: Chesterton High School, Hebron High School, Kouts High School, Morgan Township High School, Portage High School, Valparaiso High School, Washington Township High School and Wheeler High School.
The competition theme was "Westward Expansion, 1783-1900." Students competed in six subject areas - science, math, English, social studies, fine arts and interdisciplinary. The team of students representing Chesterton High School took first place overall. The Porter County winners in each round were:
- English - third -Portage; second - Chesterton; first - Washington Township
- Science - third - Valparaiso; second - Chesterton; first - Morgan Township
- Fine Arts - third - Wheeler; second - Valparaiso; first -Chesterton
- Social Studies - third place - Valparaiso; second - Hebron; first - Chesterton
- Math - third - Portage; second - Wheeler; first - Chesterton
- Interdisciplinary - third - Wheeler; second - Washington Township; first - Chesterton.
Super Bowl competition in Indiana is a part of the Indiana Association of School Principals, Department of Student Programs. This unique inter-scholastic academic competition program allows Indiana's senior high, junior, middle and elementary school students an opportunity to compete in academics similar to an athletic contest. The academic competitions encourage academic achievement by offering participants recognition and reward by honoring intellectual achievement, academic competition celebrating scholarship.