Purdue University North Central will have a Financial Aid Weekend to help students and parents complete their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) paperwork on Saturday, Feb. 26 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday, Feb. 27 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the PNC Library-Student-Faculty Building.
The event is free and is open to all students and parents of students preparing to apply for college financial aid, including loans, scholarships, grants and work-study. Many private scholarships also require the FAFSA.
Any college-bound student and their parents may stop in, email or call to seek assistance or ask questions.
The FAFSA application must be filed by the March 10 deadline and the FAFSA is required to qualify for most forms of financial aid.
Trained staff and computers will be available to allow participants to complete and file the FAFSA. There will be e-mail and instant messenger capabilities during the session and an open phone line to take incoming questions. The email address is firstname.lastname@example.org ; AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) is pnctoday and telephone, (877)-792-2011.
Those who intend to complete the FAFSA online must have an electronic Personal Identification Number (PIN). That can be obtained online prior to filing at www.pin.ed.gov , or can be obtained online at the Financial Aid Marathon. Both the parent and the student will need a PIN in order to sign and complete the FAFSA.
Those who intend to complete the FAFSA at the Financial Aid Marathon should be sure to bring:
1. A copy of student and parent completed 2010 Federal taxes - 1040, 1040a,1040ez and 2009 W-2 forms. If the tax forms have not been completed, numbers can be estimated for the FAFSA using the W-2, if necessary.
2. Statements showing the value of investments such as stocks and bonds.
3. Statements of the student's and parent's balances of checking and savings.
4. Any other untaxed income.
5. Both the student and parent birth dates and social security numbers. Further information about financial aid or the Financial Aid Weekend may be obtained by calling the Financial Aid office at 785-5200, ext. 5493. Persons with disabilities requiring accommodations should contact ext. 5493.