Some say Thanksgiving should be more than just a single day. When you donate blood through the American Red Cross, you can give thanks for a lifetime.
“As you reflect on what you are grateful for this holiday season, set aside time to come donate blood,” said Tracy Fox, spokesperson for the Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region of the American Red Cross. “Your donation can give someone another moment, another day, another holiday to spend with love ones and friends. And that’s something to feel thankful for.”
Patients rely on blood from volunteer donors. In fact, patients across the U.S. need more than 44,000 pints of blood each day to treat emergency and ongoing medical conditions. Locally, about 500 blood donations are needed daily for patients in the more than 60 hospitals served by the Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region of the Red Cross.
But while the need for blood is constant, the supply of blood sometimes isn’t. Blood donations can dip around the holidays, making it important for donors to make and keep appointments to ensure a strong and stable blood supply for sick and injured people.
“If you want to express your gratitude this holiday season and do something meaningful for others, try blood donation,” said Fox, “Someone, maybe in your very community, will need blood this holiday season and will be thankful for the gift of life you can give.”
UPCOMING AMERICAN RED CROSS BLOOD DRIVES IN YOUR AREA:
- Saturday, Nov. 16, from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. at Harley-Davidson, located at 1151 U.S. Highway 30 n Valparaiso.
- Saturday, Nov. 16, from 8:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. at the Boys & Girls Club of Porter County in the Small Gymnasium, located at 354 Jefferson St. in Valparaiso.
- Monday, Nov. 18, from 11:30 a.m. until 5 p.m. at St. Peter Lutheran Church in the Kitchen & Social Hall, located at 6540 Central Ave. in Portage.
- Friday, Nov. 22, from 1:30 p.m. until 6:30 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church of Portage in the Fellowship Hall, located at 2637 McCool Road in Portage.
- Friday, Nov. 29, from 11:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. at the YMCA of Portage, located at 3100 Willowcreek Road in Portage. All who come to donate will receive an American Red Cross t-shirt, while supplies last.
How to Donate Blood
To schedule an appointment to donate please call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or visit redcrossblood.org for more information. Individuals who are 17 years of age (16 with parental permission in Indiana and Ohio), meet weight and height requirements (110 pounds or more, depending on their height) and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. Please bring your Red Cross blood donor card or other form of positive ID when you come to donate.
About the American Red Cross
The Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region serves northern and central Indiana and northwestern Ohio, and needs to collect about 500 units of blood a day to meet patient need in 60 hospitals. The American Red Cross shelters, feeds and provides emotional support to victims of disasters; supplies about 40 percent of the nation's blood; teaches skills that save lives; provides international humanitarian aid; and supports military members and their families. The Red Cross is a not-for-profit organization that depends on volunteers and the generosity of the American public to perform its mission. For more information, please visit redcross.org or join our blog at http://blog.redcross.org.