Now that everyone is winding down their summer vacations and getting ready for the start of the school year, it is time to get back into the swing of things. Here are some tips on how to lose some of those pesky vacation pounds from Franciscan’s Kelly Devine Rickert, a registered dietician and health coach.
Kelly's Post-Vacation Plan
- Exercise every day! This is a must (especially for me) to help me sweat out some of that excess salt I am carrying around. Most of the time people gain water weight on "vaca" from eating excess carbs, salt and alcohol when eating out.
- Eat every single meal from home! I NEVER say this … but I cannot WAIT to go grocery shopping. Fresh food! Fruits! Vegetables! Fresh meat! Yes!
- Lots of water and no alcohol until you can shed some of that weight gain from vacation.
- Salad and lots of veggies every day. Fruit too, I'm just a bigger fan of vegetables myself. Vegetables are filled with fiber and water, helping to keep you full and satisfied.
- Plan and pack all your meals and snacks for work or day outings with the kids before school starts.
- No staying up late! Staying up late can cause weight gain and is a large contributor to the inability to shed pounds. Aim for 7-8 hours, if possible.
By the end of even the first week, you will be feeling better, down a few post-vacation pounds and have more energy!