Valparaiso University men’s and women’s swimming teams continued early action in the 2019-20 season on Friday afternoon in a tri-meet at Southern Illinois University against the Salukis and Bellarmine University.
How It Happened
• Freshman Brian Daniels (Brookfield, Wis./Brookfield East) had another impressive performance early in his Valpo career, finishing third in the 1000 freestyle, clocking a time of 10:09.12.
• Sophomore Derek Eidson (Ventura, Calif./ Ventura) was another top performer for the Brown and Gold, placing third in the 100 freestyle (48.33).
• In his second career meet, freshman Ethan Johnson (Ames Iowa/Ames) posted another quality finish, recording a time of 1:59.82 in the 200 backstroke to finish third overall.
• Senior Paige Wright (Surprise Ariz./Paradise Honors) was a top performer on the women's side. She recorded a third-place finish in the 1000 free, stopping the clock at 10:57.37.
• Freshman Morgan Markley (Bluffton, Ind./Norwell) placed third in the 50 free in her second-ever meet for Valpo, clocking a time of 25.10.
• The highest finish for Valpo on the day was in the women’s 200 free relay for the team of Markley, sophomore Chiara Robinson (Castle Pines, Colo./Rock Canyon), senior Erica Martins (Hartland, Wis./Lake County Lutheran) and Wright as they recorded a time of 1:41.71, good for a second-place finish.
Valpo will again hit the road next weekend as it travels to West Lafayette on Saturday, Oct. 19 for the Indiana Intercollegiates. The event is scheduled to start at 11 a.m. CT.