The Valparaiso University track & field teams competed at the Gibson Invitational in Terre Haute, Ind. on Saturday, turning in numerous personal records on a busy day of action.
How It Happened
- Ignacio Veloz Bonilla (San Juan, P.R. / American Military Academy) nearly cracked the program record book in the 1,500-meter run, clocking a 3:55.71 that was less than a second from entering Valpo’s all-time Top 5. Veloz Bonilla established a PR and posted the team’s top 1500 mark this season. His performance helped him to a third-place finish in a competitive field of 39 runners.
- Jared Humphrey (Hobart, Ind. / Andrean [Carthage]) enjoyed a prosperous day, establishing a pair of personal bests. He PR’d in the 400 hurdles at 57.92 (ninth) in addition to achieving a long-jump height of 6.15m (20-2.25, ninth).
- On the women’s side, it was Haylee Krulik (Crown Point, Ind. / Crown Point) who shattered a pair of PRs, heaving 38.12m (125-1) in the discus and 11.24m (36-10.5) in the shotput.
- T.J. Weinzimmer (Northbrook, Ill. / Glenbrook North) finished third in the men’s triple jump with a 13.84m (45-5).
- Another PR came courtesy of Joey Black (O’Fallon, Ill. / O’Fallon) in the men’s 800 as he led the team with a 1:58.51.
- Emanuel Daggett (Chicago, Ill. / Gavit) placed eighth in the 400 with a 49.62.
- Maranda Donahue (Delton, Mich. / Delton-Kellogg) topped the Valpo women in the 800 with a 2:22.26 to place 14th. She now owns the team’s best mark in that event this season.
- Payton Weber (Germantown, Wis. / Kettle Moraine Lutheran) paced the squad with a 33-10.75 (10.33m) in the triple jump, a mark that is now her PR.
- Joelyn Overstreet (Genoa, Ill. / Genoa-Kingston) posted a 4:57.40 time in the women’s 1,500 to lead the team.
Valpo will host a home meet on Saturday, May 1 at Warren G. Hoger Track.