The United Way of Porter County Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program still has tax preparation openings available for qualifying individuals.
The VITA program is a free tax preparation service staffed by IRS-certified volunteer preparers that assist taxpayers in filing both federal and state returns.
“In less than two months, we have processed more than 500 tax returns,” said Kim Olesker, president & CEO of United Way of Porter County. “This is just one of the many vital services United Way supports in Porter County. Providing this free processing service to our community allows for those who need it to stay on track with their filings and receive their returns faster.”
Tax appointment services are available now through Thursday, April 14. Openings are available Monday through Thursday at various times per day. Program requirements include an adjusted gross income of $54,000 or less, presentation of photo identification and Social Security cards for all being claimed on the 2015 tax return.
The following is a detailed list of the requirements to qualify for free tax preparation:
- Proof of identification (photo ID)
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter may be substituted for you, your spouse and your dependents if you do not have a Social Security number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements (Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R,1099-Misc) from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
- All Forms 1095, Health Insurance Statements
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available
- Proof of bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit such as a blank check
- To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number such as their Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B or C, Affordable Health Care Statements
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable and proof of County property tax or rent paid
To make an appointment, contact United Way of Porter County at (219) 464-3583. To learn more about the VITA program, visit UnitedWayPC.org.