Crusaders Take Down WIU in Exhibition Opener
The Valparaiso University women’s soccer team got its 2016 campaign off on the right foot on Tuesday evening, going on the road and defeating Western Illinois in Macomb, Ill. by a final score of 4-2. The Crusaders found the back of the net twice in the opening 10 minutes to claim early control in the victory.
- Coming off of a strong summer season with the Chicago Red Stars Reserves, senior forward April Cronin (Glenview, Ill./Glenbrook South) gave the Crusaders the lead in the sixth minute with an individual effort, bringing the ball herself from midfield and finding the upper-left corner for the finish.
- Redshirt freshman Ava Porlier (Downers Grove, Ill./South) doubled the Valpo advantage in the 10th minute with a header off a cross from fellow redshirt freshman Natalia Kontul (Solon, Ohio/Solon).
- Freshman Tahleah Noel (Buffalo, N.Y./Christian Central Academy) made an impact in her first match in the Crusader uniform, finding the back of the net to make it 3-0 in the 29th minute. Fellow rookie Adi Johnson (Rockford, Ill./Rockford Christian) picked up the assist on Noel’s goal.
- After WIU cut the advantage to 3-1, a handball in the box in the 40th minute resulted in a penalty to the Crusaders, which redshirt junior Morgan Manzke (Orland Park, Ill./Sandburg) converted for Valpo’s fourth and final goal.
This and That
- Head coach John Marovich looked to get playing time up and down the roster Tuesday, and did just that, as 24 different Crusaders saw action – including 21 outfield players.
- Valpo split time in goal with its three goalkeepers, as the trio – redshirt senior Sydney Galvez-Daley (Chicago, Ill./Fenwick [Creighton]), redshirt freshman Tess Barrett (Tinley Park, Ill./Providence Catholic) and sophomore Drew Moulton (Sycamore, Ill./Sycamore) each played about one-third of the match.
- Despite the number of players who saw time Tuesday, the Crusaders controlled the match throughout, out-shooting the Leathernecks 17-9 and earning five corner kicks while not surrendering any corners.
- “We had a very solid start to the match, with the goal from April and then a great cross from Natalia to Ava. I was pleased with the progress of our group defending this early in camp. It was fantastic to have everyone get a solid 45 minutes of valuable experience today.”
- The Crusaders host their final exhibition match this Friday at Brown Field, welcoming Ohio to campus for a noon kickoff. Live stats will be available via ValpoAthletics.com.
Valparaiso to Play in “Men Who Speak Up Main Event”
The Valparaiso University men’s basketball team will play in the “Men Who Speak Up Main Event” in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand Garden Arena during the upcoming season, facing off against the University of Alabama on Nov. 21 before taking on either Brigham Young University or Saint Louis University on Nov. 23. A hotel room block is available now through the Valparaiso University Alumni Association at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino, with tickets available at a later date through the Valparaiso University Ticket Office.
The Crusaders, coming off a school-record 30 wins last season and a trip to the NIT championship game, will face off against SEC rival the University of Alabama in their first game in Las Vegas. The Crimson Tide won 18 games last season, including eight in SEC play, and lost in the first round of the NIT. Valpo’s second game in Las Vegas will be against either Saint Louis University, which would mark the third meeting in the last five seasons between the two programs, or Brigham Young University, who the Crusaders defeated in the semifinals of last season’s NIT at Madison Square Garden.
Fans are invited to take advantage of Valpo’s room block at the MGM Grand Hotel and Casino, which is available now. The rooms are blocked from Nov. 20–24, with room rates ranging from $75 to $155 per night. Alumni and friends who reserve rooms in Valpo’s room block will also be conveniently located for a special University event at the hotel on Tuesday, Nov. 22. For more information or to reserve rooms, visit the Valpo alumni event page.