In the final matchup of a three-game set, the Valparaiso University baseball team dropped a 12-0 decision to host Georgia Southern. Senior Steven Fitzsimmons (Golden Valley, Minn./ Robbinsdale Cooper) recorded his first extra-base hit of the year during a multi-hit game.
How It Happened
- Freshman second baseman Nolan Tucker (Cedar Lake, Ind./ Hanover Central) started the Valpo offense off on the right foot, smacking a leadoff double to right-center in the top of the first. Tucker was bunted over to third but was stranded there after Eagles starter David Johnson struck out the next two batters.
- Valpo again threatened in the third inning when Fitzsimmons sent the first pitch he saw to right and hustled around for a triple. After a Tucker walk, Valpo had runners on the corners with just one out, but was unable to scratch across a run.
- With a strikeout to begin the home-half of the third, Valpo starter Colin Fields (Libertyville, Ill./ Libertyville) had retired the first seven Eagles batters of the day, including three strikeouts. However, after two singles and an error loaded the bases, Georgia Southern outfielder Mason McWhorter launched a grand slam to give the hosts a 4-0 lead they would never relinquish.
- The Eagles played small-ball in the fourth, using two walks, a steal and a bunt to set up a McWhorter three-run double to make it 7-0.
- The Eagles would tag on five more runs — only two of which were earned runs — before the game’s end. Valpo managed just one hit off the Eagles’ bullpen after Johnson departed in the sixth.
Inside the Game
- After a 2-for-3 showing, Fitzsimmons raised his season’s batting average by over 50 points.
- Riley Dent (Long Beach, Calif./ Wilson) recorded his team-leading 16th hit of the year in his 14th game.
- Georgia Southern’s quality pitching staff permitted just one run in the series.
Valpo will look to get back in the win column when the team opens up a two-game midweek set at Alabama State on Tuesday. Links to live stats and coverage are available on ValpoAthletics.com