Valpo Velvet ice cream has been named among the “Top 10 Indiana Places for Ice Cream,” and the Indiana Dunes made the list of “Indiana’s Top 10 Summer Gotta-Dos.”
Both places were announced as winners Friday by the Indiana Office of Tourism Development, which is putting together a variety of Top 10 lists.
Indiana Dunes Tourism, the official tourism bureau of Porter County, nominated Valpo Velvet and the Indiana Dunes for inclusion in the Top 10 lists. More than 10,000 people from the region and across the state went to the state tourism website -- www.VisitIndiana.com -- to vote for their favorites. The top vote getters made the Top 10 lists.
More than 100 ice cream shops and summer gotta-dos were nominated by members of Indiana's tourism industry.
Indiana Dunes Tourism Executive Director Lorelei Weimer said Valpo Velvet and the Indiana Dunes truly are among the state’s best, and she hopes people will travel here to enjoy them.
Valpo Velvet, located at 55-57 W. Monroe St. in Valparaiso, has been making ice cream the exact same way for 65 years, by three generations of Brown family members. Although the five simple ingredients in the basic mix haven’t changed, unique new flavors have been added over the years. Valpo Velvet now makes 65 to 70 different flavors of ice cream, frozen yogurt, sherbet and sorbet.
As for the Indiana Dunes, it draws more than 3 million visitors each year. Dunes visitors can enjoy 15 miles of Lake Michigan beaches, towering sand dunes with breathtaking views of the lake and miles of wooded trails.
"Hoosiers know their communities and take pride in sharing their favorites," said Amy Vaughan, director of the Indiana Office of Tourism Development.
"We want to thank all who voted and invite our Hoosier friends and families to enjoy all Indiana has to offer for summer fun."
Another region business -- Fair Oaks Farms in Jasper County -- made the “Top 10 Indiana Places for Ice Cream” list. And Fair Oaks’ grilled cheese sandwich was earlier named to the “Top 10 Sandwiches” list. In addition, the Valparaiso Popcorn Festival was previously named to the “Indiana’s Top 10 Food Festivals” list.
People can learn more about the top places by visiting the state tourism website -- www.VisitIndiana.com -- and clicking on the “Best Of Indiana” tab at the top of the homepage.
Top Ten Must-See Indiana Summer Gotta-Dos
- Fort Wayne Children's Zoo, Fort Wayne
- Fort Wayne TinCaps at Parkview Field, Fort Wayne
- Indiana Dunes, Chesterton
- Holiday World & Splashin' Safari, Santa Claus
- Clifty Falls State Park, Madison
- Quilt Garden Tour, Elkhart County
- The Children's Museum of Indianapolis, Indianapolis
- Black Pine Animal Sanctuary, Albion
- Shipshewana Flea Market, Shipshewana
- Turkey Run State Park, Marshall
Top Ten Indiana Ice Cream Shops
- The Chief, Goshen
- Valpo Velvet, Valparaiso
- South Side Soda Shop, Goshen
- Ivanhoe's, Upland
- Fair Oaks Farms, Fair Oaks
- Rocket Science Ice Cream, Nappanee
- Hartzell's Homemade Ice Cream, Bloomington
- Bonnie & Clyde's Soda Shop, Bristol
- DeBrand Fine Chocolates, Fort Wayne
- Sycamore Drive-In, Logansport