9 Wrestlers move on to regionals!
The 2022 Wrestling Sectionals took place on Saturday, January 29th, at Merrillville High School. We had 4 wrestlers win Sectionals and another 5 place in the top 5 and also move onto Regionals. We are so excited and proud of our Viking Wrestlers! Below are those moving on:
- Stefan Vitello - 1st place in the 138 lb weight class.
- Alex Bennett - 1st place in the 160 lb weight class.
- Connor Svantner - 1st place in the 170 lb weight class.
- Dylan Kwiatkowski - 1st place in the 182 lb weight class.
- Chandler Antrim - 2nd place in the 220 lb weight class.
- Pierce Pine - 3rd place in the 195 lb weight class.
- Giancarlo Laterzo - 4th place in the 145 lb weight class.
- Xavier Roberts - 4th place in the 126 lb weight class.
- Xavier Hicks - 4th place in the 113 lb weight class.
Boys swim & dive
1/29 - The VAC hosted the Boys Swim & Dive DAC. Our boys competed hard and placed 3rd in the DAC! Congratulations! Below are the swimmers & divers that placed in the top 5:
- 200 Yard Medley Relay - 4th - Landon Schemel, Jonah Lee, Cayden DeSmet & Kyle Seward
- 200 Yard Freestyle - 5th George Patterson
- 50 Yard Freestyle - 3rd Kyle Seward
- Diving - 3rd Tyson Borgelt, 5th Bryce Bernard
- 500 Yard Freestyle - 3rd George Patterson
- 200 Yard Freestyle Relay - Harry Wainman, Theo Pigott, Kale Rausch & Cayden DeSmet
- 100 Yard Breaststroke - 3rd Jonah Lee, 5th Cayden DeSmet
- 400 Yard Frestyle Relay - 3rd - Trey Nash, Landon Schemel, George Patterson, & Kyle Seward
1/28 - The JV and Varsity traveled to Merrillville to take on the Pirates! JV suffered a loss, 47-57. Caden Crowell led the team with 10 points and 5 rebounds. Varsity won 63-44. Mason Jones led the team in points and rebounds with 23 and 12. Jack Smiley followed with 12 points. Breece Walls led with 8 assists.
1/29 - The Vikings closed out the weekend with both the JV and Varsity winning big against Munster. JV ended with a final score of 47-33. Dwayne Smith led with 12 points and 6 rebounds. The varsity final score was 74-44. Mason Jones and Breece Walls scored 20 points each. Breece led in rebounds and assists with 7 and 9.
1/29 - The Freshmen boys competed in the Penn Tournament. Below are the final scores:
- "A" team lost to Crown Point 39-42. Caden Crowell led with 23 points.
- "B" team lost to Crown Point 31-42. Nick Bravo & Trevor Fenters led with 9 points each.
- "A" team defeated Mishawaka 44-19. Caden Crowell led with 18 points.
- "A" team lost to Penn 31-33. Sam Sienkowski led with 14 points.
1/31 - The FR "A" and "B" team took on rival Chesterton and split the wins. The "A" team lost in a heartbreaker by only 2 points, 38-40. The "B" team came out ready to fight and defeated the Trojans 31-26.
2/1 - FR boys took on the Michigan City Wolves. The Vikings won 38-26. Julian Stokes led with 16 points.
1/29 - The Freshmen Girls Basketball ended the season with a pair of losses at the Penn Tournament. Penn defeated our Vikings 8-46. Cady Ofman led with 5 points. Carroll defeated the Vikings 7-26. Cady Ofman led again with 5 points.
2/1 - The Lady Vikings defeated rivals, Chesterton, 112.975 to 106.400. Gabi Grisafi placed 1st in every event! Below are the top finishers:
- Uneven Bars - 1st - Allison Rospond, 2nd - Ava Platipodis, 3rd - Olivia Lozano
- Balance Beam - 1st - Ava Platipodis, 2nd - Rachel Northey
- Vault - 1st Gabi Grisafi, 2nd - Molly Dreher
- Uneven Bars - 1st Gabi Grisafi, 2nd - Molly Dreher
- Balance Beam - 1st Gabi Grisafi, 2nd - Molly Dreher
- Floor Exercise - 1st Gabi Grisafi, 2nd - Molly Dreher, 3rd - Chloe Ochman, 4th - Allison Rospond
- All-Around - 1st Gabi Grisafi, 2nd - Molly Dreher