Softball Wins the DAC Title
It has been a long drought, but it is finally over. The Vikings are the 2022 DAC Champs. The Lady Vikings went 13-1 in the DAC. The final win came over the highly ranked Crown Point Bulldogs. Their first meeting was the only loss that the Vikings suffered in the DAC. Tuesday night the Vikings defeated the Bulldogs 5-1! Senior Charlotte Dombrowski pitched all 7 innings allowing 5 hits, 0 runs, 0 errors, and 8 strikeouts. Marley Nagy and Charlotte Dombrowski each went 4 for 4. Marley had 2 RBI's and Charlotte 1. Brooke Corneil & Paige McCorkle each went 2 for 3 at the plate.
5/16 - The Lady Vikings suffered only their 2nd loss of the season to Boone Grove by a score of 4-6. Freshman Koral Moreno pitched all 7 and had 2 strike outs. Melina Rodriguez went 2 for 3 with 2 singles.
Girls Track & Filed
The Vikings came in 2nd at Sectionals with 151.5 points. We will have many individuals representing the Vikings at Regionals next week. Below are those advancing:
- 400 Meter Dash - 2nd Paige Schulte 1:00.83, 3rd Rebecca Cavanaugh 1:00.90
- 800 Meter Run - 1st Kaylie Politza 2:11.84
- 1600 Meter Run - 3rd Elizabeth Ehrhardt 5:20.67
- 100 Meter Hurdles - 1st Ramaya Hall 15.71
- 300 Meter Hurdles - 1st Ramaya Hall 47.35
- 4x100 Relay - 3rd Joanna Fields, Ava Jaime, Elizabeth Fields & Adriana Gilliam 50.72
- 4x400 Relay - 2nd Kaylie Politza, Rebecca Cavanaugh, Brooke Byvoets & Paige Schulte 4:04.61
- 8x400 Relay - 1st Cheyanne Stock, Lilly Maldia, Kaylie Politza & Brooke Byvoets 9:22.78
- Pole Vault - 2nd Ashley Cavanaugh -10'00, 3rd Mia Curran - 10.00
- Long Jump - 1st Joanna Fields - 17'02.00
- Shot Put - 2nd Ayla Rice - 39'10.75
- Discus Throw - 3rd Ayla Rice - 111'10.00
5/13 - The Vikings took on Boone Grove on a Friday night under the lights and came away with an 11-1 victory. Logan Lockhart and Adler Hazlet each pitched 2 innings allowing only 1 hit each. Logan struck out 5 and Adler 3. Ian Wilson came in for the last inning to close out the game. Nolan Johnson had 2 hits, 1 single and 1 double with 2 runs and 3 RBI's.
5/14 - The Freshman played Penn in what was supposed to be a double header but mother nature had other plans! The first game was exciting as the Vikings won 2-1 in the bottom of the 7th!
5/16 - The Vikings suffered a heartbreaker on Senior night, losing to Highland 10-11. Griffin Zborowski pitched for 4 of the 7 innings and only allowed 4 runs. Thomas Vo went 2 for 2 with 1 single, 1 double and 4 RBI's.
5/17 - Michigan City traveled to Valpo and were defeated 10-3. Caden Crowell pitched 6 innings allowing only 3 hits and had 7 strike outs. Cam Milroy relieved him for the last inning allowing 0 hits and 0 runs. Ian Wilson hit a homerun to drive in 2 additional runs.
5/19 - The second night of the games with michigan City ended even better than the first. The Vikings defeated Michigan City 17-0. Dillon Rodriguez pitched 4 of the 5 innings only allowing 2 hits and had 5 strike outs. Nolan Johnson had a great game at the plate going 3 for 3 and driving in 7 runs!
5/14 - Culver held it's annual CGS invite. The Vikings made it out of round 1 defeating Fort Wayne Bishop Luers 5-0. In the final round the Vikings were defeated by Culver 0-5. Below are the individual scores for round 1:
- #1 Singles Maddie Braming 6-0,6-0
- #2 Singles Emily Hatseras 6-0,6-0
- #3 Singles Reagan Willians 6-4,4-6,6-3
- #1 Doubles Laney Mario & Raegan O'Halek 6-2,6-1
- #2 Doubles Kaitie Shideler & Zoe Cusson 6-2,4-6,6-2
5/18 - The girls started their Sectional run against Wheeler and all of our teams were winners!
- #1 Singles Abby McBride 6-0,6-2
- #2 Singles Maddie Braming 6-0,6-0
- #3 Singles Emily Hatseras 6-0,6-1
- #1 Doubles Kallie Belcher & Izze Piggot 6-0,7-5
- #2 Doubles Laney Mario & Raegan O'Halek 6-2,6-4
5/19 - The Sectional title was not in the cards for the Lady Vikings, they were defeat 1-4 in the finals to Chesterton. Congratulations to Emily Hatseras who defeated her opponent in #3 Singles 6-4,6-2. Great Season Ladies!
5/13 - The Golf team participated in the Uebele Tournament in LaPorte at Beechwood Golf Course. This is a large tournament with over 20 schools competing for the "orange jacket". Valpo finished in 3rd place overall with a team score of 312. Below are the individual scores:
- Aidan Gutierrez - 75
- Rob Politza - 77
- Colin Danzi - 78
- Liam Utesch - 82
- Max Abel - 85
5/17 - DAC match up against Chesterton and Lake Central and our boys were on fire! Final team scores - Valpo 142, Chesterton 164 and Lake Central 177. Below are the individual scores:
- Aidan Guiterrez - 34 - 2 under par
- Rob Politza - 36 - par
- Colin Danzi - 36 - par
- Liam Utesch - 36 - par
- Max Abel - 41
JV also got the win over both teams Valpo 175, Chesterton 179 and Lake Central 191. Below are individual scores:
- Alex Carlson - 37 - 1st overall
- Nick Wills - 38 - 2nd overall
- Drew Ebersberger - 49
- Ian Dutz - 51
- Vinny letnich - 61
5/19 - Another 3 way DAC match up vs LaPorte and Merrillville and the Vikings came out on top again. Valpo team score 155, LaPorte 185, Merrillville 230. Individual scores below:
- Aidan Gutierrez - 35 1 under par and 1st overall
- Rob Politza - 40 - 3rd overall
- Colin Danzi - 37 - 1 over par and 2nd overall
- Jacob Gaghan - 43
- Brady Hudson - 43
JV also defeated both teams. Valpo 175, LaPorte 211 and Merrillville 330. Below are individual scores:
- Liam Utesch - 39 - 1st overall
- Max Abel - 48
- Alex Carlson - 44 - 2nd overall
- Nick Wills - 46 - tied for 3rd overall
- Logan Vice - 46 - tied for 3rd overall
Boys Track & Field
5/18 - The Boys Track & Field had their Sectionals and although the team did not take the trophy, there were several Vikings that will be moving on the Regionals. Below are the Vikings headed to Regionals:
- 100 Meter Dash - 2nd place Tyler VerSchure - 10.98
- 800 Meter Run - 2nd place Caleb Marconi - 2:02.72
- 1600 Meter Run - 3rd place Jimmy Dillabaugh - 4:41.25
- 3200 Meter Run - 2nd place Joel Bryant - 9:50.28
- 4x400 - 2nd place Hugo Fagen, Nick Gring, Aidan Donofry & Tyler VerSchure 3:33.46
- 4x800 - 2nd place Nick Gring, Mason Nobles, Caleb Marconi & Jimmy Dillabaugh 8:21.43
Congratulations to 3 members of our cheer team who are moving on the cheer at college. Hayden King and Micha Nathan will be cheering at Indiana University. Troy Whitten will be cheering at Purdue! Great job boys!