The Valparaiso University women’s golf team opened up the Missouri Valley Conference Championship by golfing the first two rounds of the event on Monday at the par-71, 5987-yard Bogey Hills Country Club in St. Charles, Mo. Junior Morgan Kier (Brownsburg, Ind. / Brownsburg) led Valpo on the first day of championship action.
How It Happened
- Kier led the team by carding an 82 in Round 1 before finishing the day with a team-best 166 over the 36 holes.
- Junior Payton Hodson (Middleton, Wis. / Middleton) owned the team’s best Round-2 score, trimming nine strokes off her opening-round mark with an 80 in Round 2. She finished the day at 169.
- Sophomore Kelsey Eichenauer (North Manchester, Ind. / Manchester) also made a substantial improvement in Round 2, trimming six strokes off her opening-round score.
- Valpo improved by six strokes in terms of team score in Round 2.
- Hodson turned in a birdie, while Kier had a team-high 18 pars.
- Evansville finished the day atop the team leaderboard at 604, while Sophia Rohleder of the Purple Aces holds the lead for medalist honors at 149 with 18 holes to play.
Thoughts from Head Coach Jill McCoy
“It was a tough golf course today. Morgan started the day well. Payton recovered well from a rough start. Tomorrow is going to require a lot of mental toughness, and hopefully we can string some better numbers together.”
The final round of the event will take place on Tuesday. A link to live scoring via GolfStat is available on ValpoAthletics.com.