It’s almost cucumber time in the Lifer Garden
Cucumbers, watery as they are, are super versatile for summer recipes. We’ve got tons of flowers on our four cucumber plants in the Lifer Garden, and baby cucumbers have sprouted! Here are a few simple ways to incorporate cucumbers into your diet this summer.
Fill a pitcher of water with ice, and add about a half a large cucumber, sliced. Let sit for about 15 minutes and enjoy a refreshing but subtly flavored, simple beverage.
Sweet & tangy cucumber salad
2 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper
Half a sweet onion, sliced in slivers
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour before enjoying.
Cold pack spicy bread & butter pickles
- 4 small onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 cups distilled white vinegar
- 1/3 cup coarse salt
- 6 cucumbers, sliced
- 4 hot banana peppers, sliced into rings
- In a large pan, combine the onions, mustard seed, turmeric, hot pepper slices, and celery seed.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar and salt. Bring to a boil. Pour the boiling mixture into the pan with the onion mixture.
- Add the cucumber slices. Pack into sterile jars. Refrigerate for 1 week before eating.