The risk of falls increases as we age. Slips, trips and tumbles can be more dangerous than they might seem and can cause a multitude of injuries, some of them life-threatening.
Community Healthcare System’s physical and occupational therapists want to help you determine your risk of falling and provide tips to decrease your chances of hurting yourself.
A “Stop the Stumble” event will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday, Sept. 22 at five Community Healthcare System locations. Fifteen-minute fall risk assessments will be scheduled in advance and will examine your balance, gait and strength. Call 219-703-2055 to register for a free screening at the following sites:
- Community Hospital Fitness Pointe, 9950 Calumet Ave., Munster
- Community Hospital Outpatient Center, St. John, 9660 Wicker Ave., St. John
- Community Stroke & Rehabilitation Center, 10215 Broadway, Crown Point
- St. Catherine Hospital, 4321 Fir St., East Chicago
- St. Mary Medical Center Portage Health Center II, 3545 Arbors Blvd., Portage
For more information about services offered at Community Healthcare System, visit COMHS.org.