The Valpo softball team opened up its three-game MVC series against UNI in Cedar Falls, Iowa on Saturday, falling to the host Panthers by a 9-0 final.
How it happened
- Valpo put two runners on in the top of the first, as junior Peyton Moeder (Shawnee, Kan./Mill Valley) led off with a single and UNI committed an error two batters later
- The Panthers took control with a six-run frame in the bottom of the first.
- Valpo had a runner in scoring position in each of its first four times at bat, but could not push a run across the plate.
- UNI scored a run in the bottom of the second and added two more in the fourth to complete the scoring.
Inside the game
- Juniors Kate Beckemeyer (Forsyth, Ill./Maroa-Forsyth [Parkland]) and Jaina Westphal (Waterford, Wis./Burlington) joined Moeder with base hits Saturday.
- Westphal also stole a base, her fourth theft in as many attempts this year.
- Junior Taylor Herschbach (Lockport, Ill./Lockport Township) and sophomore Ryan Milkowski (Olathe, Kan./Olathe West) both reached via walk in the series opener. Milkowski’s free pass was her team-high 11th of the season.
- Senior Addi Burke (Mesquite, Texas/John Horn) recorded three putouts and two assists in Saturday’s game, giving her 93 chances handled successfully this year at second base without committing an error.
- Freshman Caitlyn Kowalski (Temperance, Mich./Notre Dame Academy) started in the circle and was charged with the loss.
Valpo (5-19, 1-9 MVC) closes out the three-game set against UNI with an 11 a.m. doubleheader on Sunday. Both games will be broadcast live on ESPN3.