The Valpo men’s and women’s swimming teams hosted a home meet on Friday night against the Evansville Purple Aces, the first home meet of the season for Valpo. Senior Paige Wright (Surprise Ariz./Paradise Honors) led the Brown and Gold, winning two individual events and one relay.
How It Happened
· Valpo’s first win of the day came in the women’s 200 medley relay, with the team of Wright, freshman Mikayla DePover (Rock Island, Ill./Rock Island), senior Erica Martins (Hartland, Wis./Lake County Lutheran), and sophomore Chiara Robinson (Castle Pines, Colo./Rock Canyon). The team clocked a time of 1:51.56.
· Wright’s impressive day continued as she won the 200 free, stopping the clock at 1:58.28. Wright concluded her day by winning the 500 free, posting a time of 5:13.45 – just .13 outside of Valpo’s all-time top-10 in the event
· DePover joined Wright with two individual wins to go with the relay triumph. The rookie picked up her first individual win of the day in the 100 butterfly with a time of 1:00.33, and followed later in the meet with a time of 1:07.98 to win the 100 breaststroke. The latter time improved upon her season-best time, which ranks sixth in program history.
· Freshman Morgan Markley (Bluffton, Ind./Norwell) picked up a first-place individual finish as well, winning the 50 free with a time of 25.51.
· The team of Markley, junior Mariah Sturdivant (Chicago, Ill./George Westinghouse Prep.), Robinson and Martins won the 200 free relay for the Brown and Gold with a time of 1:40.27.
· On the men’s side, the team of sophomore Derek Eidson (Ventura, Calif./Ventura), sophomore Billy Bennett (Libertyville, Ill./Libertyville), sophomore Dominic May (Naperville, Ill./Naperville Central), and freshman Adam Chwieros (Lake Villa, Ill./Grayslake North) placed second in the 200 medley relay, posting a time of 1:38.45. .
· Bennett notched the only first-place finish for the men by winning the 100 breaststroke (59.64).
· Freshman Brian Daniels (Brookfield, Wis./Brookfield East) picked up a second-place finish in the 1000 free (10:12.46), while Eidson placed second in the 200 IM, stopping the clock at 2:01.88.
· Evansville won the scoring on both sides, as the women fell 106-99 and the men fell 154-51.
Valpo will be back on the road as the team travels to Youngstown, Ohio to battle Youngstown State on Saturday, Nov.2. The events are scheduled to begin at noon CT.