The Valparaiso University women’s tennis team began the season on a high note at the Valpo Tennis Complex on Thursday afternoon, cruising to a 7-0 victory over Grace College. Valpo started strong with all three doubles teams winning convincingly, setting the tone for a positive beginning to first-year head coach Bob Modesto’s tenure.
How It Happened
- The freshman duo of Olivia Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) and Amanda Tabanera (Valencia, Calif. / Valencia) kicked off their Valpo debut with their first doubles victory, beating Carrie Copeland and Jayna Armstrong 6-0 at No. 2 doubles. Valpo dominance in doubles continued with the No. 3 doubles pair of Dao Sysouvanh (Sun Prairie, Wis. / Sun Prairie) and Demi Jhaveri (Westlake, Ohio / Westlake) winning 6-1. The No. 1 tandem of Claire Czerwonka (Kenosha, Wis. / Saint Joseph Catholic Academy) and Isabella Schoolcraft (Bargersville, Ind. / Center Grove) also prevailed 6-2.
- Jhaveri was the first singles match to finish as she recorded a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Morgan West at No. 5.
- The next Valpo player to complete her match was Schoolcraft, who picked up a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Jayna Armstrong at No. 4 singles.
- Tabanerarolled past Copeland 6-0, 6-1 at No. 3 to open up a 4-0 team lead over the Lancers (1-1) and secure the match victory.
- Oliva Czerwonka picked up a singles victory 6-1, 6-1 at No. 2 in her collegiate debut.
- Claire Czerwonka and Sysouvanh also earned wins as Valpo swept all singles and doubles courts.
Inside the Match
- Freshmen Olivia Czerwonka, Jhaveri and Tabanera all picked up their first career doubles and singles victories.
- Head coach Bob Modesto notched his first victory as a collegiate tennis coach.
- Freshmen Olivia Czerwonka and Tabanera had the most impressive doubles victory as they swept their opponent 6-0.
- Schoolcraft and Claire Czerwonka reunited at No. 1 doubles, where they went 3-3 as a tandem last season.
- This is the second straight year Valpo won 7-0 over Grace to open the fall season.
Valpo (0-1) will look to continue its hot start when the team travels to Greencastle, Ind. on Sept. 7-8 to compete in the DePauw Tournament.