Looking to boost your energy levels and decrease hunger at night? A well-timed afternoon snack may just be your answer! While it is true that snacking too often, especially on salty or sugary snacks, can add pounds not shed them, a healthy snack (a combination of healthy carbs high in fiber and some lean protein) can help satisfy those mid-afternoon cravings and actually help you lose weight.
- Rule of Thumb: Aim for a snack about 2.5-4 hours after your lunch every day.
- Guidelines: Keep it low in salt, if possible, (unless you are going for a run in warm weather after work!) and high in fiber with some protein.
- Cut up veggies (peppers, snap peas, cucumbers) with garlic hummus
- Greek yogurt with 2 Tbsp of a flax chia seed blend
- 1-2 Tbsp peanut butter with cut up green apple
- String cheese stick with 1 cup grapes or berries
- 1 Kashi or Kind bar
- 1 hard boiled egg and 12 Kashi crackers
Try this quick recipe. Pair with some cut up veggies such as red or green peppers, or 1 serving of pretzels or whole grain crackers.
Chunky Vegetable Hummus Dip
- 1 container hummus
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumbers
- 1 plum tomato chopped
- 1/4 c feta cheese
- 1/4 c chopped red onion
- Mix well and add to 1 serving of whole grain crackers